The Vampire Facial® and Vampire Facelift® are treatment options for patients interested in the rejuvenating properties of platelet rich plasma, also known as PRP.
The benefits of PRP are vast & we often get a lot of questions, so we will take a few minutes at the end of this post to address FAQs of platelet rich plasma.
For now, let’s explore the benefits and the difference between Vampire Facial® and Vampire Facelift
- Improve skin tone and texture
- Stimulate new tissue growth in the face
- Create youthful volume in the cheeks and combat volume loss
- Smooth fine lines and wrinkles
- Improve sun damage
- Reduce crepey or sagging skin
- Improve dark circles under the eyes
Vampire Facial vs. Vampire Facelift
We get this question all the time so I wanted to take the time to address the similarities and differences of these two commonly performed procedures.
First, let’s discuss how they are similar: Both procedures use your growth factors to improve the cosmetic appearance of your face. Each person has dozens of different growth factors that are found within their platelets. We can draw your blood and process it so that we have an increased concentration of your platelets (platelet rich plasma) without the other cells which don’t help us. We then trick your platelets to think there has been an injury to your body so that they will release these growth factors. After this is where the Vampire Facial and Facelift differ.
Dr. Gentry creates platelet rich plasma by drawing a small amount of a patient’s blood, and then spinning it in a centrifuge to separate platelets from the other components. This concentrated plasma can then be used in a variety of treatments to encourage healing and stimulate cell growth.
Your blood consists mainly of liquid plasma, with smaller amounts of solid components like red cells, white cells and platelets. (Platelets help to clot blood, and also contain important healing proteins.)
- The Vampire Facial includes a process called microneedling which creates thousands of tiny channels in your skin to allow your growth factors to reach a deeper layer of your skin where cell growth occurs. This procedure is used to create a smoother texture of the skin, reduce pore size, and reduce any scarring that is present but does not affect volume of the face. Although your blood is drawn, there are no injections with the Vampire Facial.
NOTE: This treatment is ideal for overall skin rejuvenation, including improvement to scarring, fine lines and brown spots. This option is more superficial than the facelift.
- The Vampire Facelift combines your own growth factors with commonly used hyaluronic acid (HA) dermal fillers such as Juvederm products. First the fillers are injected into your face to provide a scaffolding for the growth factors and improve volume. Then your growth factors are injected at the sites of the filler to help enhance the volume and tone of your face. Additional syringes of filler can be purchased depending on your personal goals.
NOTE: This treatment is ideal for patients hoping to improve volume loss and add youthful height and curves to their cheeks. The filler adds lift and volume, and the platelet rich plasma helps build collagen scaffolding over time to support new volume.
We encourage you to schedule a complimentary consultation so that Dr. Gentry may evaluate your skin and recommend the ideal treatment option.
If you are anything like me, you want to know what to expect. “No surprises!” Well, we are happy to walk you through each process step by step.
Vampire Facial Treatment Process
- You complete an initial consultation so that Dr. Gentry can discuss your goals and determine the best treatment options, and what to expect from the PRP facial.
- A small amount of blood is drawn from your vein.
- That blood is placed in a centrifuge, where it spins so that the platelets are separated from the red blood cells.
- The face is topically numbed with an anesthetic cream to help you feel comfortable during application.
- Using a microneedling pen, Dr. Gentry creates tiny channels in the skin and activating collagen production.
- PRP is applied across the face so that it may enter those channels and be needled back into the skin.
- You will experience some redness for 2-3 days following and should be sure to wear sunblock and protect the skin as it heals.
- You will begin seeing improvements shortly after the procedure, with the full results taking hold within several months and lasting up to 1-2 years.
- Other non-invasive treatments like cosmetic injections help increase the length and intensity of results, with additional PRP facials also intensifying improvements. Talk to Dr. Gentry about the treatment regimen that might be best for you.
Expected Treatment Time within our spa: 90 Minutes
Vampire Facelift Treatment Process
Some treatment steps are similar to the Vampire Facial, but the incorporation of dermal fillers branches the procedure off in a different direction.
- After completing your consultation and drawing blood, Dr. Gentry injects dermal fillers to create the desired facial shape.
- Then Dr. Gentry injects the prepared platelet rich plasma into specific areas of the face to active stem cells present in the skin. These multipotent stem cells then trigger new tissue growth in the treatment area. This leads to an ongoing boost in volume and skin rejuvenation.
- Procedure results continue to take hold for 2-3 months following, and last for 1-2 years depending on your skin, your lifestyle and other anti-aging treatments you may incorporate.
Expected Treatment Time within our spa: 120 Minutes
Common PRP Questions
As promised, we want to answer your PRP questions as well. If we missed a question that you have, please feel free to email us or comment below.
Q. What are platelets?
Platelets are tiny cells in your blood, which are responsible for stopping bleeding by forming blood clots. They help heal blood vessels when damage occurs.
Q. How are platelets harvested for PRP treatments?
Your PRP is derived from your own blood, during your appointment. A small amount of blood is drawn and then spun in a centrifuge. During this process, the platelet rich plasma separates from the red blood cells. This PRP is then applied to your face or other treatment areas to rejuvenate the skin.
Q. What are the benefits of PRP treatments?
There are a variety of benefits exclusive to platelet rich plasma, as it is a unique cosmetic treatment.
- There is an extremely low risk of side effects, as the PRP is derived from your own blood and is not a foreign entity. The most common effects patients experience are redness and mild swelling for only 12-24 hours after treatment.
- Treatment is versatile and can stimulate cell growth and rejuvenation in areas across the body.
- The treatment process is quick and comfortable, with the treatment area being numbed before PRP is injected.
- PRP triggers the body’s own healing mechanisms, leading to natural-looking results.
- PRP facials improve a wide variety of cosmetic concerns with just one treatment option.
Q. What conditions can be treated with PRP therapy?
Platelet rich plasma can be used in different ways to achieve your unique cosmetic or therapeutic goals. Dr. Gentry is an expert provider and will discuss your projected outcome prior to beginning treatment.
Some of the most popular treatment goals for PRP therapy include:
- Improving fine lines and wrinkles
- Subtly tightening the skin
- Combating volume loss with increased collagen and elastin production
- Smoothing crow’s feet
- Improving dark circles under the eyes, as well as puffiness
- Treating rosacea
- Minimizing acne scarring
- General rejuvenation for more youthful skin
Q. Is PRP therapy painful?
No, treatment is not typically painful. The treatment area is numbed topically before any injections are performed. Most patients experience little to no discomfort during the procedure. You may experience some tenderness after treatment but this will quickly fade.
Q. How long before I see PRP results?
The time until you see your full results will vary from patient to patient, depending on age, skin type, diet and more. Noticeable initial results may take anywhere from 2-12 weeks to appear. Dr. Gentry may recommend several treatment sessions at predetermined intervals to achieve your desired results. Touch-up treatments may also be beneficial.
Q. How long will results last?
Length of results depends on the area treated and on many other factors. Dr. Gentry will discuss specific expectations with you prior to treatment. On average, PRP facial results last up to 18-24 months.
Q. Which PRP treatment is best for my concerns?
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Gentry to learn more about his specific recommendations for your needs. He will be able to answer your questions in detail; examine your skin and help you discover your ideal treatment option.
Q. What is the Vampire Facial and HIV situation I keep hearing about?
Recently, there has been some publicity regarding patients who may have contracted HIV while undergoing treatment at a clinic in New Mexico. We would like to stress that there is no risk of HIV when performing the Vampire Facial correctly. We are the only clinic in all of Fayetteville who is properly trained and authorized to perform the Vampire Facial. You can see a list of approved providers by area at vampirefacial.com. Luly Ruiz, the person operating the VIP Spa in New Mexico was shut down by the New Mexico Department of Health for unsafe practices regarding needles and blood as well as not being properly licensed to operate a medical spa. In addition, she was never trained in the proper procedure for the Vampire Facial. If the practice is properly trained to perform the Vampire Facial and listed on the provider website and is properly licensed to practice medicine in your state, then there is really no risk of transmitting a disease such as HIV, hepatitis B or C.
Have more questions?
We’ll answer any of the other questions you have during your cosmetic consultation. Schedule your appointment with us today to take the first step.